Monday, December 13, 2010

Trying Something New

     Last week was a great week for both SwagHer Magazine and myself.  I stepped out on faith, and it paid off big time.  I am not one to say it is not about who you know but what you know. I strongly disagree. One thing Karlyn always stressed to me was to surround myself with like minded positive people and that is what I have been doing.  I know that it is paying off.
    Today I feel so motivated and inspired. I feel good. For those that know me personally, then you know this is not common. I am the world worse worrier. I guess it is the Libra in me that looks at both the good and the bad, but lately things have been good.
    Last Sunday, I spoke with Gavin Richard, author of Katrina, and he agreed to do a blog talk radio show with me. I am so excited. I asked Gavin, because he wrote Katrina at the age of something like 22. How many Black men do you know of writing non-fiction books at the age just to prove a professor wrong for talking bad about their city. Gavin's city is New Orleans by the way, so you know he has swag.
     Friday, I met with the web designer. She has been trying to explain to me where we can implement advertising on the site. I wanted to be positive that I understood everything before actually trying to sell the space, but to be honest I am so ready to sell, because at this time, I do not make a single dime. I only make expenses, but in my heart I know they are going to pay off.  SwagHer is my calling. I can feel it. Anyway, so as we are sitting there talking I began to tell her about some of the problems I have been encountering with publishing and some of the things I do not like about the site. Guess what we came up with...we are not only going to redo the site, we are going to move it! I am so excited and that also means we will have a new SHORTER URL. That may be small beans to some but to me who has to call that out, but for me it is a relief.  We should have things up and running by the new year.
     Saturday, I interviewed Kim Bullock aka Brown Suga of Brown Suga Radio.  What intrigued me about Brown Suga was her current situation. I am not going to get into her situation at this time, but I will say her faith is strong and I admire that.  By the way, Brown Suga is from Las Vegas, NV. Notice how we are growing further out.  Her article is going to be a good read.
      Sunday, I interviewed Stephanie Alva, owner of My Life Keys. Stephanie is a life coach who is really doing her thing. She has demand all over the globe. I was appalled when her publicist contacted me, but it was hard to get into her schedule. She is based in Atlanta. For our interview, I had to set Atlanta time on my iPhone world clock. Even after doing this, I took a nap and then woke up and read the e-mail and then thought I had another hour to do it. I almost missed the Great Alva again! Luckily she called me back and had a few minutes to talk before an engagement she had.  The interview was great. She had gave me a story within fifteen minutes! As we ended our call, I apologized again for not calling at the scheduled time and was explaining how busy I had been.  She told me this, "Don't worry about what all you have to do. Keep your mind focused on the end result. Don't worry about the advertising. Don't worry about the stories. Think about the end result, you will be a publisher. You will be a writer."  I needed those words at that time, because even as I blog I am exhausted from this weekend.  Yet someone told me the same thing on Twitter not too long ago.  I had been worrying about not having writers, but i did not want to look for any because I was afraid they may not have been serious and committed. @SugartheGirl told me to just continue writing and they will come. She  was so right. I have gained two new writers and two poets. I got them at times when though I needed them, I was so focused on just getting the job done that I was not worried about it, but it happened.
     The little secret, I mentioned on Facebook the other day is.... Matthew and I got married Friday! It was very small and private. We went to the justice of the peace, but we are planning to have a ceremony once we are better situated financially. I keep looking at my ring, trying to believe it. I have only shared this here. No where else, and I would kind of like to keep quiet just a tad bit longer.
     Sooo... that is a review of my week as I stepped out on faith.

1 comment:

  1. Your photo is now featured on Beaboss.net! Check it out!

    ReplyDelete